Below are 10 steps to help you obtain pest-free living.
- Remove food source – Clean counters, floors, dishes, and cupboards. Vacuum rugs thoroughly. Do not leave pet food out all day. Do not leave fruit out in bowls. Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink or about the house. Keep open boxes of food in plastic storage containers with right fitting lids.
- Take out trash daily. Put trash in plastic liner bags that can be closed tight. Keep trash as far away from living area as possible. Trash cans should have tight fitting tops.
- Wash out recycled bottles and cans before placing them in a recycling container. Keep recycle containers in a tub with a tight fitting lid. Keep newspapers and recycled magazines in closed tubs.
- Do not leave exterior doors or garage doors open.
- Invest in good screens for your windows. Patch or replace screens if needed.
- Eliminate water sources. Caulk around sinks and bath area. Fix leaks around pipes and roofs. Re-grout cracks in tile.
- Seal cracks and crevasses.
- Check items you bring into your home. Pest can often be brought in by plants, paper goods and even luggage.
- Stack firewood away from home. Pull vines off home and trim other foliage away from house.
- When buing over the counter product, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
Follow the above list to prevent and maintain a healthy home.